The Dream Book of Self-Knowledge
- usually symbolizes relationships that deeply affect the dreamer's experience.
- dry, waterless: expresses emotional emptiness.
- if well's water does not flow regularly it can symbolize the dreamer's stale relationships.
- since well water symbolizes relationships, there can be various mechanisms in it, including pumps, that specify the dreamer's complex relationships.
- cleaning: dreamer begins active attempt to make clearer and improve his relations to his surroundings.
- can be the dreamer's passageway to the underground (underworld) through which he enters the process of understanding his negative aspects (like Goethe's Faust who meets Mephistopheles); a well as an entrance to the underground is a frequent image of many tales and of the Hero and Shadow archetypes.